Pages

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Beware.. Ticks!

 
13 years ago I chose the most adorable little puppy to join my 'family' I'd only moved out of home four months before to start my adventure in a new town for Uni & having always had pets all my life, it felt natural to surround myself with some four legged friends. So Jessie joined our family alongside Jack & Felty my cats & Twitterbug my Scaly Breasted Lorikeet. Jessie was a tan & white Border Collie and had a gorgeous personality from day one.
Our Journey's both began at the same time..

Like any family member Jessie grew with our family & over time he welcomed other dogs into our family (they were older than him & he would often look after these dogs, particularly in their old age & lead them to dinner etc) he welcomed my children and he welcomed my new family when my husband & his kids moved in. He would look after me, protect me & he knew when I was upset & cheer me up.

Jessie was very intelligent. He knew 'find toy' & would search until he found his favourite toys. He loved toys & had a large collection.

Jessie has been gone 2 months now, he passed away after being affected by a paralysis tick. I came home one Friday evening to find him laying in the garden, unable to get up. We took him to the vet, we asked about ticks but the vet thought it was more likely he'd sustained a sprain or a fall.. The next morning, still at the vets for observation he hadn't deteriorated nor had he improved. The vet still felt a rich was unlikely and was thinking moreso nerve damage? They asked me to call back closer to lunchtime & when I did I was told they had found a tick & had commenced the tick serum.

Unfortunately Jessie had a reaction to the tick serum so his health began to struggle, that afternoon we took him 'get well cards' and his toys. That evening the vet said his health was further declining & the next morning the phone rang and I felt sick.. I knew ge's passed, I couldn't answer the phone & made my husband take the call.. I knew it was bad news.. My beloved companion of 13 years, the one who'd been with me through thick & thin was gone.. Taken by an ugly insignificant insect :-( I was very upset, wondered why the vets hadn't picked it up earlier & angry..

I write this post as the weather is warming up, apparently there are more ticks than ever around & I'd like to spread some awareness in the hopes I could help save someone else's beloved pet suffering the same way our beautiful Jess did.

We'd never had ticks before, it was the first case we'd had in our backyard in 28 years so it wasn't something I was actively preventing against. We now use the tick collars on our dogs ( which are relatively inexpensive) and check them over regularly by running our hands over them to detect any lumps or bumps.

There are spot on products, Advantix that can be applied like flea preventers, but if your using this product to prevent ticks, you must use it fortnightly, not monthly like you would flea control.

I'm sure Jessie is in doggie heaven playing up a storm with all his mates who passed before him. His death was senseless & I urge all dog owners to go & check their dogs over, buy some preventative products & don't become complacent.. These hidden nasties can be in any of our backyards so protect yourselves, your children & your pets..

RIP Jessie (1999-2012)
Jessie had a gorgeous smile that could make you happy even on the bleakest day.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Danielle - so heartbreaking. My dog escaped during a thunderstorm and when someone found her, she had 6 paralysis ticks on her. She was absolutely pumped with the serum and made a full recovery - here by the grace of God.
    Your Jessie looked like such a beautiful boy - I am certain he was so very loved.

    ReplyDelete